Every day we get feedback from our users and, as a lot of you have the same type of queries, we've put together answers to some of your most frequently asked questions.
· Advertising Policy
· Adult policy
· Terms and Conditions
· Why is the Register button not clickable?
· Receiving relevant offers
· How do I register?
· What are the benefits of registering?
· How do I change my registered details?
· How do I choose a secure password?
· Some Good Suggestions
· What NOT to Do
· Keeping Your Password Safe
· How do I search the website?
· Entering keywords to improve search results?
· Using location filters to improve search results?
· Can I change the search radius?
· What are favourite adverts?
· How do I save my favourite adverts?
· How many adverts can I save?
· How can I view my saved adverts?
· Not sure how to login on the new site?
· What are saved Searches?
· How do I save my searches?
· How can I view or edit my saved searches
· Which category should I choose?
· What makes a good title for an advert?
· Why do I need to enter a postcode for my item?
· Are you going to publish my postcode?
· How do I choose which publications to publish in?
· Print advert styles
· Payment Options and Security
· Is buying online secure?
· Pricing my item
· Why had my advert been rejected?
· My personal details are being used by someone else?
· Can you send me more contact details for an ad?
· How can I see where an advertiser is based?
· The location arrow only points to the middle of a suburb
· Can I view back issues of the paper?
· Can you send me the details of an ad I saw recently?
· How can I find an ad from several weeks (or months) ago?
Why is the Register button not clickable?
All users must agree to the User Agreement in order to register on our sites. Please read the relevant points of the user agreement thoroughly before ticking the “I agree to Loot / Bargain Pages' user agreement” option. This will allow you to register by clicking on the blue ‘Register’ button.
Do I have to agree to receive relevant offers from Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart/FreeAd Mart and other carefully selected companies?
By registering, all Loot and Bargain Pages users will automatically be included to receive offers from us and other carefully selected companies. We do this to ensure you are kept up to date with all relevant offers and to allow us to keep in touch with you. At Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart we take your privacy very seriously and will safeguard your information at all times. However, we recognise that some users will prefer to opt-out of receiving any communications from Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart or other carefully selected companies.
How to change your preferences?
1. Log in to loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk.
2. Click on MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart link at the top of the page.
3. Click on Profile from the left hand side navigation.
4. Scroll down to Communication Preferences and tick "No" to alter your preferences as to what communications you would like to receive.
· NO - I do not want to receive any information from Loot Ltd or associated companies
· NO - I do not want to receive any sponsored information on behalf of carefully selected companies
How do I register?
Select the Register link in the header at the top right hand section of your screen.
You'll be taken straight to our Registration page where there are five sections to complete:
· Your email address
· Your password
· Confirmation of your password
· Confirmation of Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart’ user agreement
Once the fields in these sections have been filled in correctly, click on the red 'Register' button. You will be sent an email which will confirm your details and your successful registration.
What are the benefits of registering?
· Renew, edit or stop your adverts
· View your advertising history
· Update registration details and privacy permissions
· Save searches
· Create email alerts
How can I change my registered details?
All your personal details are stored within the MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart section of our sites. In order to access MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart login and you should be automatically redirected to this section. If you are already logged in then simply select MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart and visit the profile section available from the left hand side menu.
Enter your new details along with your current password and click on the ‘Update’ button.
Choosing a secure password is one of the most important parts of setting up your Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart account.
Some Good Suggestions
These are some ideas that will help you create a good password and keep it safe:
· Make your password at least 8 characters long. The longer it is, the more secure it will be.
· Choose an interesting phrase, a line from a poem, or a section of song lyrics. Then use the first letter from each word to construct your password. Make sure you don't accidentally create dictionary words this way!
· Go to a busy street and write down the first three or four number plates you see. Remove the duplicate letters and numbers and make your password from the remaining ones.
· Find other ways of getting random letters and numbers, such as opening books and taking the third letter from the first ten nouns you see. Be creative!
The following things should not be used as your password, or even as a part of it:
· Your username.
· Your real name.
· Any name at all.
· Your birthday, phone number or address.
· Any dictionary word, in any language.
· Dictionary words with common number/letter substitutions, such as zeros for the letter O, ones for the letter L, 3's for E, etc.
· Any of the sample passwords you find on the internet.
Keeping Your Password Safe
· Never tell anyone your password.
· Never write your password down. Even though your password will look random to others, you should have a way to easily remember it yourself so that you do not have to write it down.
· Change your password every few months.
How do I search the website?
There are two ways to search for adverts on loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk.
1. The Search bar on the homepage where you can type keywords and location/ radius information.
2. The left hand side menu which take you directly to all the adverts in those categories.
How does entering a keyword help to improve my search results?
If you choose to apply a keyword to your search results then you will only see search results that match your keyword exactly. For example, if you enter in 'Automatic' in a Motoring search then you will not see results that include the word 'Auto' as this doesn't match the keyword exactly. Similarly if you are searching in Pets and you search for 'Staffy' then you will not see results for 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' as once again the keywords are different. Bear in mind when you search for something using a keyword that it's worth trying a few different combinations to make sure you see all possible search listings.
How can I use the location filter box to improve my search results?
Use the location filter to limit your search results to only those that are from a certain area or postcode. How the location filter works depends on whether you enter in a postcode or a town / region name. If you enter a postcode, for example N1, then your search results are limited to only results shown from with that postcode. If you enter in a town / region name, such as Camden, then your search results will be limited to all results within 25 miles of that location. If you enter nothing into the location filter then you will see all results from within the UK.
Can I change the search radius?
Yes, once you have completed your initial search you have an option to limit your search results by a choice of filters. One set of these filters refers to location. You can either keep your location as the same as your initial search or you can change it here. You can also change your search radius to anything available from the drop down menu.
What are favourite adverts?
Favourite ads are an easy way for you to keep track of adverts you are interested in without having to search from them every time you are on the website. Mark them as favourites and they will appear in your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart account for review at any time.
All you favourite adverts will sit within your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart.
How do I save my favourite adverts?
In order to save an advert you must be logged in, so begin by clicking on either register or login.
Once you have logged in you will be able to save adverts that interest you. There are two ways to do this. You can either save the advert directly from the search results or from the advert view page.
When searching for adverts on loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk, search results are presented as a list of adverts. Click on the red heart on the right of each listing to tag it as your favourite.
On advert view pages, the save heart is found underneath the price information on the top right hand side of the advert. As with search results clicking on the star will turn it red and save the advert.
How many adverts can I save?
There is no limit to the number of adverts you can save on loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk.
How can I view my saved adverts?
All saved adverts are stored on your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart section. To access MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart simply follow the instructions below:
· Log in to loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk.
· Click on MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart available at the top of the page.
· When logged into MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart, all saved adverts can be found in the Favourite Ads section within “Ads”.
Not sure how to login on the new site?
As you have noticed, we've rebuilt our site. This may have an impact on how you login to your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart account:
· No changes to registered users: use the same username and password as you have always used
· If you have recently advertised on loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk without registering, you just need to hit the 'forgotten password' link and follow the instructions from the email
· If you have used us a long time ago and can't log in, please create a new account (it only takes a minute!)
What are saved Searches?
Saved searches are email alerts you can set to receive listings for items you are interested in without having to search for them every time you are on the website.
All you saved searches will sit within your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart profile.
How do I save my searches?
You need to be logged in to use this feature. Simply conduct a search and click the 'save search' button located at the top of the page. You will then be asked to fill in a form where you can enter criteria to refine your search:
· Account email: the email you have registered with
· Custom email: another email address of your choice
· Location: your desired item location
· Distance: set up a search radius for your search
· Price: include to and from prices
· Photos: tick the box if you only want ads with photos
· Keywords: refine your search further by entering a keyword
· Price type: select one of the options available from the drop down.
And finally save your search to get matching ads delivered straight to your inbox.
How can I view or edit my saved searches
To view or edit your saved search, log in to your MyLoot/MyBargainPages/MyFreeAdMart and select 'saved search' from the left hand side navigation where you can run, edit or delete your saved searches.
Which Category should I choose?
Select the category and sub-category that best describes the item you are selling. Simply describe the item you are selling and click on any other the categories suggested. Alternatively, click on the most relevant category available from the category tree. If you believe your advert doesn’t fit in any section in the category finder, or if you are unsure which category to choose, then email Loot Customer Service , Bargain Pages Customer Service or FreeAd Mart Customer Services
What makes a good title for an advert?
The title of your advert should summarise in no more than four words the item you are selling. You want someone to see the title of your advert and be able to tell what it is you are selling, without it being too complicated. Remember: the simpler, the better.
· Car adverts should start with the make and model of the car (e.g. Ford Fiesta)
· Property adverts should start with the name and/or first two digits of post code of the area the property is located (e.g. Finsbury Park, N4)
Why do I need to enter a postcode for my item?
No matter what sort of item a customer is searching for on loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk, the customer inevitably searches for items as close to them as possible. As a result we ask all our advertisers to include a postcode of their item to allow our customers to find their advert quickly and easily.
Are you going to publish my postcode?
We take our customer’s privacy very seriously and will only publish a map of the rough area of the postcode you have entered. This map is to help to give our customers an idea of where the item is being sold from. At no point should a map show the exact location of where the item is kept.
How do I choose which publications to publish in?
The first page of ad placement asks you to put in the postcode of where your item can be found. Page two of ad placement will inform you of your local publication if you live in a print region. No print option will be given to you if you live outside our print area. Local editions are classified as:
· Midlands: Bargain Pages Birmingham Black Country and Wolverhampton
· North West: Loot Manchester and Liverpool
· South East: Loot London
Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart print advert styles
Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart have three advert styles for print publication. They are:
· Linage adverts: titles appear in bold and the body text appears in normal font. These adverts have no border or photo so will not stand out as strongly as other print advert styles.
· Power adverts: These adverts have a bold and upper case title, along with a black border and a yellow highlight. These look great in our print publications and can be a great way of catching customer’s attention.
· Photo adverts: The text in these adverts is centred in the middle of a black bordered box and the title is in bold. The best thing about these adverts is the photo which is a great way to sell your item.
Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart currently accepts Maestro UK / American Express / MasterCard / Visa for credit or debit card payments. If placing an advert through loot.com or bargainpages.co.uk we also accept payment by Paypal account.
Once your transaction is completed, Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart does not keep a record of your credit card number. The only record we keep is the authorisation number received from the bank. This is to ensure against the use of stolen cards.
Is buying online secure?
Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart adopts several procedures to protect your online transactions. To find out more about our security measures, email Loot Customer Service , Bargain Pages Customer Service or FreeAd Mart Customer Services
Pricing my item
In order to get an idea as to what sort of price you should sell your item at, the best thing to do is to research what other similar items are priced at. You want a price which is competitive but which you are also happy with. Remember if there are other items which are similar to yours at a lower cost you are unlikely to get a lot of interest.
If you have no specific price in mind and just want to see how much money you can get for an item then why not place the advert and leave the price as simply Offers. This will mean customers can contact you and put a price forward that they would be happy to pay. A word of warning on this, however, as it can put some people off who imagine the item would be too expensive for them, or it can encourage customers who are only prepared to pay a small amount.
Why has my item been rejected?
All adverts are subject to the Loot and Bargain Pages advertising policy, which offers guidance on which items we will and will not publish.
My Personal Details are being used by someone else
If your details are appearing in an advert you haven't placed, please contact Customer Services on 0871 222 5000 or email Loot Customer Service , Bargain Pages Customer Service or FreeAd Mart Customer Services
We'll be able to remove the insertion from our publications and investigate the submission on your behalf.
Calls cost 10 pence per minute from a BT Landline. Calls from other networks and mobiles may vary.
Can you send me more contact details for an ad?
Although we encourage advertisers to include as much information as possible with their ads, ultimately we can only publish the contact details provided. As an alternative, you might like to place a wanted ad for the item you're looking for.
How can I see where an advertiser is based?
All adverts have a map which will show the rough location of the advertiser. To see the map simply click on any advert listing from the search results page. The map is on the right hand side of the advert view page underneath any photos.
The location arrow only points to the middle of a suburb
For privacy reasons, maps do not show the exact location of the advertiser. Ads that include a map show the rough physical location of the item offered, Use the '+' and '-' buttons to zoom and see more or less detail.
Can I view back issues of the paper?
While we do retain back issues of the paper for internal use, Loot/Bargain Pages/FreeAd Mart does not make these copies available to members of the public.
Can you send me the details of an ad I saw recently?
Unfortunately, Loot /Bargain Pages is unable to send out individual ad details. While we do retain back issues of papers for internal use, we do not make these copies available to members of the public.
How can I find an ad from several weeks (or months) ago?
Unfortunately, we have no way of finding old ad details electronically unless the advert has been resubmitted by the original advertiser. Alternatively, you could try placing an ad yourself describing the particular item you're looking for.